Department of Chemistry
Prof. Sanaulla P F, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Head of the Department
Chemistry has been the back bone of all materials and its properties, and materials play an important role for Engineers irrespective of the branch they work. Chemistry has a major role to play be it petroleum refining, semiconductors, PV Cells, corrosion control, or development of fuel cells or chemical coatings, metallurgy or treatment of industrial wastes. Some of the fields where chemistry forms a backbone are Chemical Engineering, Polymer Technology, Bio Technology, Bio Informatics, Genetic Engineering, Bio Medical Engineering, Environmental Engineering etc. Environmental studies as an audit course is also conducted the reason being developmental policies and practices globally become exploitive of nature particularly so among the affluent western nations. This practically threatened the very existence of humanity on earth.
In India environmental issues attracted popular attention and it was felt that education had to respond appropriately to this crying need of time. The national policy on Education 1986 (renewed 1992) emphasized the incorporation of Environmental education in the entire educational process. The aim of this course is to bring a basic change in our mind set that to stop thinking environment as commodity and humans as consumers instead consider it as the very basis of our life. The Department of Engineering Chemistry has been taking active participation in the Development of HKBK College of Engineering.
The Department focuses on the overall development of the students through innovative teaching and learning. The department believes in continuous training and development of staff is required to upgrade their skills and to meet the technological evolution taking place so that they are up to date always. The following are the achievements of the Department.
Course Learning Objectives
This course (18CHE12/22) will enable students to:
Master the basic knowledge of engineering chemistry for building technical competence in industries, research and development.
To develop knowledge in the fields of use of free energy in chemical equilibrium, electrochemistry and energy storage systems, Corrosion and metal finishing.
To understand the importance of energy systems, environmental pollution,waste management, water chemistry, Instrumental methods of analysis and Nanomaterials.
On completion of this course, students will have knowledge in:
CO-1 :Use of free energy in equilibria, rationalize bulk properties and processes using thermodynamic
considerations, electrochemical energy systems.
CO-2 : Causes & effects of corrosion of metals and control of corrosion. Modification of surface properties of metals to develop resistance to corrosion, wear, tear, impact etc. by electroplating and electroless plating.
CO-3 :Production & consumption of energy for industrialization of country and living standards of people. Electrochemical and concentration cells. Classical, modern batteries and fuel cells. Utilization of solar energy for different useful forms of energy.
CO-4 :Environmental pollution, waste management and water chemistry.
CO-5 :Different techniques of instrumental methods of analysis. Fundamental principles of nanomaterials.
|1||Dr. Sanaulla PF||Professor And Head||M.Sc –Chemistry.Ph.D Applied Science- Chemistry||34 Years|
|2||Mrs. Shubha A||Assistant professor||M.Sc –Chemistry.||10 years|
|3||Mrs. Nethravathi PC||Assistant professor||M.Sc –Chemistry.PhD- Pursuing||4 years|
|4||Mr, Mahadevkumar P||Assistant professor||M.Sc –Chemistry.||4 years|
|5||Mrs Kotresha K||Assistant professor||M.Sc –Chemistry.PhD-Pursuing||1 years|
|6||Kaleemulla S||Laboratory Instructor||B.Sc.||6 Months|
|7||Mujahid Ulla Shariff||Attender||S.S.L.C||6 Months|
Published Patent No: 2765/CHE / 2015.
CBR No. 10983, Title “Nano Calcium Silicate – soil based mineral amendments as liners for hazardous waste containment facilities” dated 02/06/2015, patent published on 15/12/2017.
Research projects –Proposal Submitted:
Synthesis and evaluation of low cost nano compounds as admixture for stabilization of problematic soils- Desorption and consolidation studies- a project submitted to SERB – DST under CORE research grant with a budget of Rs 57 lakhs during June 2018 ( Status – under review).
Research projects Undertaken:
1. Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt. of India sponsored project (Project No. SR/S3/MERC/0111/2012), titled “Nano calcium silicate - soil based mineral amendments as liners for hazardous waste containment facilities" (2013 – 2016). Total budget of project Rs 37.28 lakhs.
2. Completed RESPOND project of ISRO Project (DOS sanction order DOS/PAD/GIA/2005-06/65/2532, dated 6th January 2006) Titled “Stress corrosion studies on Al alloys (like AA7075 – T7351 and AA7075 – T651)” from April 2006 to June 2009. Total budget of project Rs 11.53 lakhs.
1. Ms. I Nusrat Jehan, USN: 1HK16PGJ04 ; Title: “Electrochemical Studies on Corrosion Inhibition of Aluminium alloys AA6061, AA6063 in Acidic medium using Organic compounds”. Department of Chemistry, HKBK College of Engineering, Bangalore. Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum.
2. Mr. Kotresha K , USN: 1HK16PGJ05; Title: “Heavy Metal Immobilization by Nano – Metal Oxide Amendment in Contaminated Red soil and Black cotton Soil.. Department of Chemistry, HKBK College of Engineering, Bangalore. Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum.
Journal Publications -22
1. Cadmium Fixation Studies on Contaminated Soils Using Nano Calcium Silicate – Treatment Strategy, Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Arif Ali Baig Moghal, Sanaulla P.F, Kotresha K, Hari Prasad Reddy P, Technical Paper Program , March 12-15, 2017, Orlando, Florida, USA. Geotechnical Frontiers 2017 GSP 276 @ ASCE, page 434-442.
2. Sustainable use of soils amended with Nano calcium silicate mixture for Nickel encapsulation in an aqueous medium", Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Sanaulla P.F, Kotresha K, Arif Ali Baig Mogha. Materials Today Proceedings (ICNAO), ELSEVEIR, 4 (2017) page 12271–12277.
3. Potential of Soils Amended with a Nano Calcium Silicate Mixture for Lead Encapsulation in an Aqueous Medium. Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Sanaulla P.F, Munwar B Basha and Arif Ali Baig Moghal, Geo-Chicago-2016 GSP 269 @ASCE, USA. page 467- 276.
4. Role of different leaching methods to arrest transport of Ni2+ in soil and soil amended with ano calcium silicate, Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Sanaulla P.F and Arif Ali Baig Moghal GEOCHINA -2016 GSP261 @ASCE, USA. pp 49-56.
5. Sustainable use of locally available red earth and black cotton soils to retain Cd2+ and Ni2+ from aqueous solutions, Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Sanaulla P. F and Arif Ali Baig Moghal, International Journal of Civil Engineering-Springer, Iran University of Science and Technology, DOI 10.1007/s40999-016-0052-z,30 May 2016.
6. “Effect of Electroless Cu Coating on the Mechanical properties of Al6061/SiC/Gr based Hybrid Composite”. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Vol 5( 3), (2014) pp1070 -1077.( Impact factor -1.47)
7. Inhibiting Action of Tetra-N-Butyl Ammonium Bromide And Tetra-N-Butyl Ammonium Iodide on The Corrosion Behaviour of Za-27 Alloy In 1m Na2SO4.”International Journal of Engineering and Science (IJES), Vol.3, Issue. 6(2014)pp 58-68.
8. “Inhibition Action of Tetra –N – Butyl Ammonium Bromide and Tetra –N Butyl Ammonium Iodide on the Corrosion Behaviour of ZA-27 Alloy in 0.5 M NaCl.” International Journal of Latest Technology in Engineering & Management, Vol.III, Issue. VI, (June 2014) pp 09-18.
9. “Inhibiting Action of Quaternary Ammonium Salts on the Corrosion Behaviour of ZA-27 Alloy in 1M Na2SO4” IOSR Journal of Applied Chemistry (IOSR-JAC), Volume 7, Issue 5 Ver. I. (May. 2014), (Impact factor -1.327).
10. “Electro chemical investigation on the corrosion behavior of ZA-27 alloy in 1MNa2SO4 in the presence of cationic surfactants as inhibitors” IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science (IOSR-JHSS), Volume 19, Issue 6, Ver. I (Jun. 2014), PP 09-20,(Impact factor -1.589)
11. “Inhibitive effect of N,N’-bis (Salicylidene)1-2 Diaminoethane and N,N’-bis(3- Methoxy Salicylidene)1-2 Diaminoethane on the corrosion of AA6061 alloy in Hydrochloric acid”. Journal of Applicable Chemistry, Vol 2(4), (2013), pp940-957.(Impact Factor- 1.26).
12. “Electrochemical Behaviour of AA6061 Alloy in 1M Hydrochloric Acid using Schiff Base Compounds as Corrosion Inhibitors”. J. Mater. Environ. Sci. 4(3), (2013) PP 326-327. (Impact Factor- 1.0923).
13. “Electrochemical Behaviour of AA6063 Alloy in Hydrochloric Acid using Schiff Base Compounds as Corrosion Inhibitors. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications Vol. 2, Issue 5, 2012, pp 2049-2061.(Impact Factor-1.69)
14. “Electrochemical investigation of corrosion inhibition of AA6063 alloy in 1M hydrochloric acid using Schiff base compounds”. IOSR Journal of Applied Chemistry. Vol 2. Issue 5, 2012, pp37-47.(Impact factor -1.327)
15. “Corrosion Inhibition of AA6061 and AA6063 alloy in Hydrochloric acid media by Schiff base compounds”. J. Chil. Chem. Soc., 57, Nº 4 (2012) PP 1364-1370.(Impact Factor-0.67)
16. Corrosion Characterization of TiO2 Particulate Reinforced Al-6063 Composites in Chloride and Nitrate Media, Asian Journal of Chemistry, ISSN 0970-7077, 2011, Volume 23, Issue 4, 1664 – 1668. (Impact factor -0.247)
17. Influence of chlorides, nitrate and sulphate media on corrosion behaviour of TiO2 particulate reinforced Al-6061 composites, Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta, ISSN 1647-1571, 2010, 28(5), 309-320
18. Corrosion behaviour of TiO2 particulate reinforced Al-6063 composites in sodium sulphate medium, International Journal of Applied Chemistry, ISSN 0973-1792, Volume 6, Number 2, (2010) pp. 225–232.
19. Studies on Contaminant transport at an industrial waste dump site of Bangalore, India. Published in an International Journal Revista Ambiente Agua Taubate – An Interdisciplinary journal of Applied Science Volume 3, number 3, December08 Issue p55 – 66. Published by University of Taubate, Taubate City, Brazil.
20. “Rotational Re-Orientation times and dipole moments of Coumarin laser dye” BARC, Mumbai January 2005.
21. ‘Studies on properties of self-setting sand using molasses as a binder and calcium oxide as a hardener” published at Indian Foundry Journal, IIT (Madras), July 1995.
22. “Studies on properties of self-setting sand using molasses as a binder and sodium metaborate as a hardener” Indian Foundry Journal IIT (Madras).
1. Sustainable use of soils amended with nano calcium silicate mixture for cadmium encapsulation in an aqueous medium" Sanaulla P.F, Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Arif Ali Baig Moghal-presented at International conference on Nanotechnology - 2016 (IC Nano 2016) held during 21 - 23rd April 2016 at VTU Center for PG Studies, Muddenehalli, Chikkabalapur, Karnataka, India.page 58-59.
2. Effect of Nano Calcium Silicate to retain Nickel in a contaminated Steel Mill Soil. Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Sanaulla P.F and Kotesha K. Indo-Canadian Symposium on Nano-Science and Technology (ICSNST-2016), National Institute of Engineering, Mysore, India.
3. Studies on Sorptive Behavior of Red and Black Cotton Soils on Pb, Cd and Ni from Aqueous Medium. Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Sanaulla P. F and Arif Ali BaigMoghal, CLEAR 2014 CONFERENCE - Contaminated Land, Ecological Assessment and Remediation held at Chuncheon, Korea, 5-8 October 2014.
4. Application of Potentiometry to study the retentivity of heavy metal ions in Red Soil. Published in an International Conference on Frontiers in Chemical Research Held at Mangalore University during December 2008
5. Corrosion Behaviour of Aluminium alloys in 3% and 5 % NaCl Solutions- A Potentiodynamic Study. Presented at “National Symposium on Electrochemical Science and Technology NSEST 2008, conducted by Electrochemical Society of India, Indian Institute of Science, (I.I.Sc) July 2008.
6.“Flood Control of a locality through Ground Water Recharge – A Case study.” Published at National Conference on Role of Civil Engineers in Disaster Management and Mitigation, held at BMS College of Engineering from 2nd to 4th February 2006.
7. Studies on water quality of Bellandur and Varthur lakes – A Case study.” Published at a National Conference on Environment held at University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad during November 2000.
8. “Studies on properties of a partially baked sand using a blend of limestone powder and organic resin as a binder” published at 40thAnnual Convention of IIF, IIT (Madras), during February 1992.
9. Studies on properties of self-setting sand using molasses as a binder and sodium perborate as a hardener” JNTU Hyderabad.
Conferences, Workshops and Symposiums Attended:
1. Journals Editorial Roundtable-2016 “Getting Visible – Indian Authors in Global Arena” organised by Taylor & Francis on 8th March 2016; Bangalore, India.
2. Second Indo-Canadian Symposium on Nano-Science and Technology (ICSNST-2016), National Institute of Engineering, Mysore, India-Febuary-2016.
3. International Workshop on “Coatings and Surfaces in Biomedical Engineering” Indian Institute of Technology –Madras, Chennai, India-February 2014.
4. Workshop on “Research Methodology & Report writing” e-learning Centre Mysore, Visvesvaraya Technological University, Bangalore, India-May 2009.
5. National Conference on “Recent Advances in Surface Engineering –RASE-09” National Aerospace Laboratories (CSIR), Bangalore, India-February2009.
6. National Symposium on “Electrochemical Science & Technology (NSEST-2008), The Electrochemical Society of India, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India-July 2008.
7. Workshop on “Industrial Corrosion Awareness & Prevention” The Electrochemical Society of India, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, National Institute of Technology-K & at Mangalore University, India- February 2006.
8. National Conference on Environment held at University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, India -November 2000.
Successfully designed and implemented Rainwater harvesting system for recharging the ground water at HKBKCE campus in the year 2005, the project has met with tremendous success and now the college is self-sufficient for its water requirements.